Bettine is a 14 year old sailor from Axbridge who has just been selected for RYA 420 National Youth Squad.
She is currently sailing a double handed 420 class dinghy with Megan Ferguson and they are both training hard with the ambition of being selected for the Summer 2018 championships.
The 420 Europeans will take place in Portugal, and the 420 Worlds in the USA. There are three selection events that will be taking place this Spring and they are aiming to do their best.
Before transitioning into the 420 Bettine sailed a junior dinghy called a Cadet in which she won the Cadet National Championships in the summer of 2017 with her crew Sam Goult and also managed to finish 1st under 15 girl at the World Championships which took place in Holland.
Sailing achievements to date:
RYA squads from age 9 :
- Optimist - RYA south west zone squad 2012-2014
- Cadet - RYA National squad 2014-2017
- 420 - RYA youth squad 2018
Represented Team GBR at:
- Optimist Irish Nationals 2014
- Cadet Worlds Lake Garda 2015 and in Holland 2017
Crewing for her brother Jamie Harris:
- Cadet National Champion 2015
- Under 15 Cadet World Champion 2015
- 7th at The Endeavour Trophy 2015
Helming with Sam Goult as her crew:
- GBR 2017 Cadet World Team-Holland
- 1st Under 15 girl at the World Championships 2017
- 2017 Cadet National Champion
- Endeavour trophy 18th 2017
- 3rd girl at Windsurfing National Championships (5.8 sail)
420 sailing crewing for Megan Ferguson:
- Autumn champs 15th
Bettine also featured in Yachts and Yachting Feb. 2018 in a feature alongside Olympian Ben Saxton on “How to be a champion”